Eligibility + Requirements
THEME: OUR ENVIRONMENT
This year's project proposals will be compositional reactions to the "environment."
How can we... capture the sounds of nature....bring awareness to climate change...celebrate the Earth's beauty ...through music?
Through the free online application, composers are asked to submit:
- Project proposal based on the "environment" theme
- Up to three (3) high quality audio/video work samples
- One (1) score most representative of compositional style
The number of composers selected depends on project length and technical requirements. No more than three (3) composers will be selected each cycle. The applications will be reviewed by the members of PUBLIQuartet and notifications will be sent by July 15, 2018.
Who can apply?
PUBLIQuartet considers an emerging composer to be someone who is at a stage in their career where they would significantly benefit from a performance and workshop of this kind. There is no restriction on composition type. Composers of all styles from traditional, world, or jazz to improvisatory, non-notated, multi-media and everything in between are encouraged to apply. All composers 18 and under should apply for the PQA Junior category. See below for details.
What types of projects are accepted?
This is an opportunity to collaborate with a string quartet that has extensive new music, improvisation, and composition experience. PUBLIQuartet does not want to restrict the type of work submitted as long as it is performable within the capabilities of the four quartet members. The theme for this PQA cycle is the "environment."
1. Must be a resident of the United States (work and student visas are acceptable)
2. Must be age 18 and over. Composers under 18, please apply for PUBLIQ Access Junior
3. Must follow all application instructions - incomplete applications will not be considered
4. The composition must be performable by all four members of PUBLIQuartet. Do not include projects that require any additional performers on stage. However, multi-media projects that include a sound engineer or off-stage crew will be accepted.
5. If your piece includes multi-media elements, include a detailed list of technical requirements in your proposal
6. If your project is selected, the first draft/sketch is due by November 1, 2018 and the final score is due by January 1, 2019
7. PQA Junior applicants: all of the above requirements apply to your application + your project proposal duration should not exceed 5-min.
Selected composers receive:
1. A commission fee dependent upon composition length and technical requirements
2. 2 residencies to workshop your piece held throughout the collaboration year.
Residency 1: September 7-11, 2018
Residency 2: NYC - date will be determined by mutual availability
3. A high profile World Premiere in the U.S. during the 2018/2019 season
4. Live audio and video footage
5. Travel stipends and lodging will be provided to composers for residencies and the World Premiere performance
PQA Junior COMPOSER receives:
1. A $500 prize
2. 1 rehearsal upon completion of your score with PUBLIQuartet in New York City
2. A high profile World Premiere in the U.S. during the 2018/2019 season
3. Live audio and video footage
4. Travel stipends and lodging may be provided based on need
Questions? Please see FAQ for additional information or write to: email@example.com